Thursday, March 11, 2010

Biking in Wheaton

When Google unveiled its new bicycling feature on Google maps, I decided to test out my work commute from Wheaton to Rockville. As I thought, there is really no option for me besides to ride on Veirs Mill the whole way. If you know Veirs Mill, you know that there are no official bike lanes and several sections have no shoulder whatsoever. I think I'll pass on that, considering I'm not the most hardcore biker.

I entered a few other routes around the Wheaton area that would be nice to be able to safely ride and it became glaringly obvious how little Wheaton offers as far as bike routes. If I want to bike from Wheaton to downtown Silver Spring, Google maps tells me to take Georgia the whole way. No thank you.

We do have several nice park trails in the area (e.g., Rock Creek or Sligo) so I can't complain about that; but, it would be great if there was a safe way to get from my house to those trails without hugging a non-existent shoulder on Georgia, University, or Veirs Mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment