Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Food Challenge Day 1 - Pasta Salad


Day One of the food challenge called for a summer pasta salad with shrimp. This is where I decided to cheat. Don is allergic to shrimp so I substituted it for prosciutto I had in the fridge and it worked out excellently. I also added artichokes, feta and omitted a some other ingredients. Regardless of variation, this recipe is incredibly fresh and summery; I encourage you to play around with it and add any veggies you want. The day I made it I had just purchased an official Microplane grater so I got to test it out with the lemon zest. That thing is AMAZING. If you don't have one, get one. Now.


Summer Pasta Salad with Prosciutto
adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday

course salt and ground pepper
1/2 pound farfalle pasta, cooked al dente
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 can artichoke hearts, quartered
4 lightly packed cups baby greens (spinach, reds, etc.)
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil (I pretty much always use extra virgin, so just assume it)
4 oz prosciutto, sliced thinly
feta cheese to taste (optional)

In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil over medium-high. Add onion; cook for about 5 minutes. Add squash and artichoke hearts; cook for about 3 minutes or until heated through.

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Add feta if desired.

It's as easy as that!

No comments:

Post a Comment