Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Korean-Style Short Rib Soup


As one who loves lazy cooking, I'm always on the lookout for new and fun recipes to make in my slow cooker. I've made short ribs in the past and enjoyed them, so I decided to give this Korean-style recipe a go. I love all manner of Asian soups and stews, especially if they are served with fixins (uh, hello, Pho). This soup fit the bill quite well.

The flavors of the soup came out delicious, and the short ribs were perfectly melt-in-your-mouth tender, but I had the same complaint as I did with the Oxtail Ragu post - it was just too greasy! I even separated the broth from everything, refrigerated it for an hour, then scooped off as much fat as possible. I shredded the meat piece by piece, pulling out as much fat as possible. Even still, when it all came together it had an oiliness to it that was off-putting to me. I just don't know what to do!

I'm still posting the recipe because the spices were great and perhaps it's just my taste that's keeping me from totally loving it. I bet it would also be good slow cooked with chicken or another meat that is a bit less fatty than short ribs.


Korean-Style Short Rib Soup
adapted from Food Network

3 lbs short ribs, silver skin removed and visible fat trimmed
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup sugar
2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 tbsp red chili paste (the recipe calls for Korean red chili paste but I had a Thai-style one instead)
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
~4 scallions (1/2 bunch), thinly sliced with the white and green parts separated
6-8 oz rice stick
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, torn (optional)
1 lime, cut into wedges

Make two cuts in the short rib meat down to the bone, then place in the slow cooker. Whisk together the broth, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, chili paste, sesame oil, garlic, and scallion whites. Pour over the ribs. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.

About 30 minutes before serving, place the rice stick in hot water and let sit until cooked through. You may need to replace the hot water a few times.

Skim any fat from the broth and discard. This is where I actually separated the meat and broth, refrigerated the broth for a bit, then skimmed it. I placed it back in the slow cooker to heat it all back up before serving. Meanwhile, I deboned the meat and shredded it, removing any fat chunks.

To serve, place noodles into bowls, then ladle the meat and broth over the top. Garnish as desired with carrots, cucumber, scallion greens, cilantro, and lime wedges. Serve with sri racha or more chili paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment