Sunday, May 2, 2010

Branching Out, v2.0 - Anchovies!


Sticking with my plan to branch out with cooking as much as possible, I took up anchovies. My only prior experience with them has been in Caesar dressing, which I will also be making soon! I've learned to be grossed out by anchovies on pizza, not because I've ever seen or tried it, but through conjecture and hearsay. I was at a party late last year when a couple friends told me that I just had to try cooking with anchovies; they add a great "je ne sais quoi" to many meals.

I started easy, with Turkey Ossobuco instead of the normal veal. The anchovies were cooked into the sauce; we couldn't taste anything fishy but they definitely added a nice salty flavor. This is an easy recipe that looks impressive, a good crowd-pleaser!

Turkey Ossobuco
From Epicurious (we halved the recipe)

For ossobuco:
3 lbs turkey legs
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3-4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 can (8 oz total) chopped tomatoes with juice

For gremolata: (I made this but we didn't end up using it cuz it was so good on its own)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp grated orange zest

Preheat oven to 350°.

Pat turkey legs dry. Stir together flour, salt, and pepper then dredge each turkey leg in flour, shaking off excess. Brown legs in 2 tbsp oil over moderately high heat for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, adding more oil if necessary. Try to get as much surface as possible. Transfer browned legs to a roasting pan.

Add 1 tbsp oil to skillet, then sauté onion and anchovies until onion is golden and anchovies have dissolved, about 7 minutes. Add wine and reduce by half, about 3 minutes, then stir in broth and tomatoes.

Pour liquid over turkey legs and cover surface with parchment paper (I can't say I know why it said to do this, but I did it!), then tightly cover with foil. Braise in over until meat is very tender, about 1 - 1.5 hours. Transfer legs to a plate and cover to keep warm. Skim fat off broth, which should be nice and thick already to use as gravy. If not, simmer in a skillet and add flour until thick.

Turkey Pinwheel

We served ours with parmesan polenta and kale sautéed with garlic and olive oil. Pour gravy and gremolata (if using) over the top of all. Trés bien!

3 comments:

  1. My guess for the parchment? 1) Keeps meat IN the liquid, instead of bobbing at the top 1/2 covered and 2) reduces evaporation.

    ... but I'm just talking out of my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that's def a good guess.. but I covered it so tightly in foil, which is usually enough to curb evaporation.

    oh well, it tasted delish!

    ReplyDelete