Monday, May 24, 2010

Hot and Humid in Houston

I haven't posted in a while and am away for work until the wee hours of Thursday morning without access to any of my food pictures, but that won't stop me from writing something about food.

Until this evening, my food on this trip has consisted of Chipotle (chicken fajita salad) and a $5 footlong from Subway (turkey and ham). Booooooring. I got the scoop from a Houston inhabitant who told me that I had to check out Hungry's in Rice Village, which appears to be the little restaurant/shopping district near the Rice University campus. I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with the area, but Hungry's was definitely a gem. I also don't have much to go on besides the three streets I drove down so perhaps I drove down the wrong ones. No offense, Rice U fans. In your defense, Hungry's was delicious!

They have another location in Houston but I can't say anything about that because my experience with this city is limited to the past 27 hours. The one I went to is a cute art deco-ish style building with a nice looking patio, on which I totally would have eaten if it weren't 90 degrees and humid. They serve typical American cafe fare with a Mediterranean flair. Burgers, sandwiches and salads seem to be the big hits, with each section containing several Greek-style menu options (hummus, lamb, and feta cheese are major players here).

I ordered the jalepeno hummus appetizer and the Mediterranean wrap, then took them back to my hotel room to enjoy in my pj's. The hummus was creamy and flavorful but not as jalepeno-ey as I had hoped. The only hint of spice was tasted when I ate the two jalepeno slices that garnished the dish. No harm though, I heart hummus. It was served with warm pita and crunchy cucumbers. The wrap consisted of lamb and beef gyro meat with tomatoes, onions, lettuce and "Grecian sauce" served on a whole wheat pita. Quite delicious, and I'm hoping that because it was a wrap, it was healthy. At least that's what I'm telling myself. It was served with an iceberg wedge salad in Greek feta dressing, which I didn't try because iceberg wedges do not appeal to me in the slightest. Also, I was full from housing a bowl of hummus and a gyro wrap.

I know this review is probably meaningless to most of my readers who live in the DC area, but just bear with me. I'm bored here in Houston. And hey, if you happen to be in the Medical District of Houston anytime soon, now you have a place to eat that isn't fast food!

Off to Kansas City, MO tomorrow... Perhaps I'll try out some of this famous BBQ they have and blog about it. I know you're on the edge of your seats!

No comments:

Post a Comment