Friday, November 4, 2011

Goat Cheese, Fig, and Prosciutto Tarts

ok so those greens don't look very appetizing - next time will add after baking!

There is stiff competition between my love for crostinis and my love for puff pastry appetizers. There is just so much that can be done with both options! Come to think of it, the majority of things you put on/in a puff pastry can probably go right on crostini toast too. I just blew my own mind.

I reject the notion that tailgating has to equate burgers, hot dogs, and chili. Maybe I'm just getting old, but lately I love bringing some more fancy options to supplement the staples. When the opportunity arose to tailgate at Maryland's homecoming last month, I went full force on the appetizer/snack train. These tarts were one of my culinary contributions. Modified from a galette recipe to make them more finger-food friendly, they are sure to please a crowd for any fall event. Leave off the prosciutto for a vegetarian dish, if you must.


Goat Cheese, Fig, and Prosciutto Tarts
adapted from Domestic Fits

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup goat cheese log
1 shallot, minced
~1/2 cup fig preserves (or use fresh figs, but add some honey to the cheese mixture to sweeten it up a bit)
1/2 cup arugula (I used a baby green mix)
2 oz prosciutto, sliced into slivers (I hand-pulled mine as I added it)

Roll out the puff pastry to a large rectangle, about 12"x16". Cut into squares about 3"x3". Preheat the oven to 425°.

In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, goat cheese, and shallot until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spread 1-2 tbsp of cheese mixture onto each pastry square, leaving a small crust. Top each with 1-2 tbsp fig preserves (or a half a fig each). Finish off with the prosciutto.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and prosciutto is crispy. Top with the arugula before serving (I added my greens before baking and in hindsight, I would have waited because they shriveled up pretty good in the oven).

No comments:

Post a Comment