Thursday, November 17, 2011

Winter Sangria


I had this sangria at a friend's holiday party a few years ago and had to steal the recipe. The cinnamon and cloves just scream holidays and create a great new twist on a classic drink that I usually equate with summer. I served it at a party of my own and it was a hit there, too.


Winter Sangria
adapted from MyRecipes

1 cup fresh orange juice (I used navels)
2 oranges, sliced crossways into 1/4" circles (see picture)
1/3 cup Triple Sec (I used cheap-o brand orange liqueur)
1/4 cup sugar
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 lemon, sliced as the oranges
1 lime, sliced as above
1 750-mL bottle fruity red wine (cheap Carlo Rossi works great, no need to waste the fancy stuff)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl or pitcher; cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. In the past I've added a bit of club soda right before serving to give it a little zazz.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley!

    My name is Alex and I work at Frieda's Inc., a specialty produce company. I wanted to talk to you about sending you some free product to cook with and possibly post about, but would like to talk to you offline about it. Please email me at alex.jackson@friedas.com when you can! Thanks Ashley and Happy Thanksgiving! Oh and visit www.friedas.com to check out our products!

    ReplyDelete