Friday, December 10, 2010

Udon Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Kale


I created this soup the other night to use up some shiitake mushrooms in the fridge. I happened to have udon noodles and decided to have a go at some Japanese-style soup. It came out SO GOOD. When I first tasted the broth, I was sure I had recreated Ramen, with which I had an unhealthy obsession during my teenage years. I would make Ramen every single day after school. Seriously. After eating more, I decided it didn't taste as much like Ramen as I thought but it was still amazing. And really easy! And fast!


Udon Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Kale

1 cup chicken breast, diced (or tofu)
1 tbsp sesame oil
7 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 jalepeno, minced
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 cups water
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
udon noodles (as much as you want!)
2 cups chopped kale
3 scallions, thinly sliced
soy sauce and sri racha, for serving

Heat the sesame oil in a large, high-sided cast-iron pan or a soup pot. Cook the chicken until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until juices are released and reduced to almost nothing. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalepeno and saut° for another minute or so.

Add the broth, water, fish sauce, star anise, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the udon noodles and kale. Bring back to a boil and simmer for another 3-4 minutes, until noodles are soft and kale is wilted. Add the scallions and soy sauce or salt, if needed. Serve with sri racha and additional soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment