Thursday, February 24, 2011

Woodberry Kitchen

My sister took us to this awesome restaurant last weekend when my parents were in town, so I thought it would be great if she were the one to post the review, having been there several times. Ladies and Gentlemen, enjoy her fabulous review of Baltimore's Woodberry Kitchen.


Woodberry Kitchen is one of my favorite restaurants. For reals. It's different, its special, and bottom line - the food is bangin. When my folks were visiting from CT last weekend - I knew I had to have them experience WK. The night started off a bit bumpy, when we had to wait about a half hour for our reserved table. A few of us had seats at the bar, so that always helps. However, this could have turned into an annoying situation quickly, had the staff not apologized profusely. As soon as we finally got seated the manager and waiter were over apologizing, and even brought over a complimentary mushroom flatbread. My fiance who "hates mushrooms" even loved it. On top of that, they brought some homemade potato chips with roasted onion dip. SO delicious. Let me throw my 2 cents in here for a sec - I am often disgusted and angered at the lack of service at restaurants these days. Folks are spending their hard earned money on overpriced cocktails and grub, and the waitstaff acts like you are a nuisance. Woodberry Kitchen restored my confidence in human kind that night. They know the value of a customers' loyalty. They were so attentive and knowledgeable. I think the may have even won over my father - who was still a bit sour from waiting for the table.

The cocktails! The cocktail menu is so fun - and I've tried a few... The Gov't Mule is a must try - served in an ice cold copper mug, it is refreshing and delicious. How can you go wrong with ginger beer? I also had the Plum Paloma, which tasted like a margarita - without the sugary fake mixer. I've also had the Blackberry #75. Yum. I'm a lush.

We ordered the Marvesta Sizzlin Shrimp app. We had seen the dish featured on the Travel Channel (I think it was Travel Channel). I should add that all food is from local farms - the concept is farm-to-table dining. And you can taste it. You can learn more about the Marvesta Shrimp Farm here.

They bring out the most ridiculous fresh bread - which often spoils your dinner. Which is fine - I am all about leftovers. Alright, down to the meal - I had pork shoulder which was served with sweet potato, onion and parsnips. The meat just FELL apart, it was to die for. My sister had the steamed clams with pancetta (or pork belly?), also delish. Bro-in-law had the Lomo flatbread - with coppa, salami, roasted garlic, gouda - you had me at gouda! Fiance and Mom both had the burgers - which were cooked to perfection. And Pops had the chicken and biscuit - which was such a special take on the usual. As stuffed as we were, we couldn't pass up the homemade ice cream. The Malt flavor was by far my fave, but the Apricot Sorbet was pretty amazing as well. Tasted just like a fresh apricot. Mom got the goat cheese cake - which was super rich and decadent. And then, our waiter brings over another complimentary dish - the CMP. When I saw it on the menu I was like "ehh." But holy hell - this was the most delicious thing ever - we couldn't stop eating it. We looked like crack fiends. What is CMP, you ask? Malt ice cream, chocolate sauce, marshmallow fluff and peanuts. It comes in a glass dish with a hard candy coating on top which you have to break, sorta like creme brulee.Oh, and the CMP was featured on the Food Networks show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." Yeah, it's up there. Some folks got espresso, which was delicious and had a fancy design on top. Pops had his Muscat which made him happy.

Every time I visit WK it's such a special experience. It's a great place to spend time with friends and family over some delicious, locally grown food. The building itself is also pretty awesome, its an old foundry in Clipper Mill. They have done a great job of maintaining the integrity of the building, while giving it a modern vibe. You feel as though you are dining in a hip farmhouse. And the soundtrack of the night was memorable. Faves like Bright Eyes, The Shins, Neil Young. We often found ourselves signing along as we sipped our fabulous cocktails. Oh, and bro-in-law Don wanted me to make sure and mention the waitstaff and their adorable tartan flannel shirts. We loved feeling as though we were surrounded by our own personal farmhands. Don was in heaven!

Woodberry Kitchen
2010 Clipper Park Road, No. 126
Baltimore, MD 21211
410-464-8000

1 comment:

  1. I love WK! Their Sunday brunch is amazing!!! Next time you guys are in Baltimore, try to hit up Jack's Bistro in Canton. They dont take reservations, so get there around 6 on a Saturday night and you won't have a problem. Food is amazing! Hope all is well :-)

    ReplyDelete