Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sleepy in Seattle

You didn't really think I'd go through my trip to Seattle without a restaurant review, did you?? Of course not.

I apologize it's not more entertaining, but I am still on east coast time and am quite tired. Rather than go to the famous sushi joint recommended by a coworker, I hopped across the street from my hotel to Bahn Thai, a restaurant recommended by the front desk lady. It did have decent yelp reviews, though.

I ordered Vegetarian Spring Rolls to start which, incidentally, contain prawns. I get the sense that prawns are pretty big at this restaurant considering everything on the menu can be made with them. The spring rolls were made with lettuce, bean sprouts, some other good crunchy stuff, and (minimal) prawns in a rice wrapper, served with a spicy peanut sauce. Down the hatch!

For my meal I ordered the Tom Kah Pug, which is a spicy coconut soup with mixed veggies and tofu. I ordered it with 3 stars of spice (the scale went from 1 to 5 so I decided to play it safe in the middle). It had the perfect level of heat: just enough to made your nose run but not so much that you are interrupting other diners with your sniffles (ahem, dude at the table next to me). Is it gross that I measure spiciness by how much I need a tissue? Anyway... the soup also had a great flavor beyond the spice but the tanginess got to be a bit much for me; I didn't finish all the broth but I did fish all the veggies out. Somewhere between bites 10 and 15 I karate chopped my water directly onto my phone. So far, it still works! Score.

Overall Bahn Thai was enjoyable but not as good as the Thai I've had in Wheaton. If you're in Seattle near the Space Needle and have a hankerin' for some curry, check it out. Sorry about the lack of pictures but it was a dark and intimate space with several cute couples enjoying a quiet meal. I didn't want to be that girl.

409 Roy Street
Seattle, WA 98109

No comments:

Post a Comment