Friday, April 23, 2010

8407 KitchenBar

Last night I jumped on the proverbial bandwagon and headed down to 8407 in Silver Spring to try what everyone else has been raving about (here, here, here, here, you get the point). We went kinda on a whim, even though I've secretly been scheming on how to get there since the day it opened. We wanted a more casual dinner (read: a little cheaper) so we chose a table near the bar rather than heading up to the main dining room.

The decor is posh without being too pretentious, if possible. The whole front of the restaurant (both the bar and the upstairs dining room) is lined with floor-to-ceiling windows. On the first floor, a few of these windows were slightly opened to bring in some of the fresh night air. I did notice, though, that expanding foam is still showing along the edges of the windows. Hopefully they're just not 100% done with construction because it does not add to the ambiance.

We each ordered a drink from the cocktail menu: a mojito for me and a "8407 Pimm's" for Don. Don's drink was made with Pimms, Hendricks gin, cucumber, mint, and ginger and was served with a skewered cucumber slice. My mojito came with rock candy, which always brings me back to Long Island, going to Old Bethpage with my parents. I loved that place. But I digress... Very delicious drinks and lovely presentation!

To eat, I ordered the tuna tartare appetizer, which was served over a paper-thin slice of pineapple and drizzled in a pineapple/cilantro glaze. I think (it's not listed on the online menu). Either way, the tuna was melt-in-your-mouth good and the sauce gave it a nice kick. I also ordered a side dish of the spaetzle gratin with smoked gouda and bacon. OMG. I would eat that every day of my life if I could. Don ordered the grilled chicken monterey jack cheese sandwich with chipotle aioli and avocado relish, served on a fresh kaiser bun. The sandwich was way above average for a chicken sandwich, but also not something that you couldn't get elsewhere. However, it was served with duck fat fries. I will travel far and wide for duck fat fries. They are amazing.

Overall I would highly recommend 8407 and perhaps next time we will dabble with their entrees to get a better feel for the place. When we first arrived, there were a lot people drinking in the lounge who I assume were leftovers from happy hour, which I will certainly be attending one day soon.

8407 KitchenBar
8407 Ramsey Ave.
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 587-8407

No comments:

Post a Comment