Friday, January 13, 2012

How to Preserve Lemons

I'm not at all experienced with Meyer lemons, but what I have heard/read about them is that they are perfect for preserving, which is another first for me! I went to the Container Store and bought a singular canning jar (since I don't have plans to make this a habit...yet) that seals via boiling. The actual preserving process was stupidly easy, and I now know that the results are kinda awesome, so if I do come across Meyer lemons again I know what I'm gonna do.


If you have seen these lemons at the store, I recommend trying your hand at canning to preserve them! As mentioned previously, Meyer lemons are slightly sweeter and less tart than regular lemons; preserving them only enhances these attributes. The actual preserving is no more than adding a buttload of salt and sealing them in a jar with their juices. Then waiting, for at least 3 weeks. Read on for the steps!

How to Preserve Meyer Lemons
from SimplyRecipes

4 lemons (preferably Meyer), scrubbed very clean
1/4 cup kosher salt or more
extra fresh lemon juice, if needed (and I did)
sterilized 2-cup canning jar

Place 1 tbsp salt in the bottom of the jar.

Cut the tip off each lemon, then slice lengthwise into quarters, not cutting all the way through. You just want to be able to split it open.


Cover and fill each lemon liberally with salt. Place lemons in the jar and squish down to juice them. The lemons should be covered completely in their own juice. If you've squished all you can and they're still not covered, add some extra fresh lemon juice (from a separate lemon) until they are covered. Top with a bit more salt.

Seal the canning jar per directions. We had to fill a big pot full of water, add the jar, then bring to a boil together and gently boil for ~20 minutes to seal (you can tell when the lid pops in).

Let sit at room temperature for about 3 days, turning over each day. After the third day, store in the fridge for at least 3 weeks, turning occasionally, until the lemon rinds soften. Ready to use! Apparently they can be stored for up to 6 months, too (not sure if that includes jars that have already been opened for use, but I'll let ya know).

No comments:

Post a Comment