Friday, February 5, 2010

Branching Out, v1.0 - Jicama!

Note: I titled this post "Branching Out, v1.0" in the hopes that I will branch out more often - if not for me, then for my loyal blog-readers (all three of you)! If you have ideas for strange and delicious veggies/fruits/oddities, please leave them in the comments!

In the past, I'd had several jicama-flavored things but I'd never actually taken a bite out of one. It was hard enough for me to pronounce, let alone figure out how to serve. So, when they were on sale at Giant last week, I took the plunge! I was impressed that the computerized lady-voice in self-checkout pronounced it correctly! I found a recipe that looked delicious and healthy from Bon Appetit (via Serious Eats) so I rolled with it. I added some leftover roasted chicken and served in tortillas as chicken salad wraps. The jicama had a consistency much like an apple or a potato, and tasted a little sweet but overall pretty neutral. The satisfying crunchiness was what stood out the most in this salad.

Salad, pre-tortilla


Jicama, Black Bean, Corn, and Chicken Salad Wraps
(adapted from Serious Eats)

1 clove garlic, smashed to a paste with a big pinch of salt (Note: to do this, smash with the broad side of a knife, then continuously run the side of the knife over it to spread across the cutting board until you get a paste.)
Grated zest of 1 lime
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1 big squirt of Sriracha sauce (Asian-style hot sauce, omit if you don't like spice)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen), boiled until just tender and drained
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 can (15-oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup peeled, diced jicama
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (I used less because I'm not a huge fan)
1/2 - 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic paste, lime zest and juice, orange juice, cumin, Sriracha, and olive oil.

Add the rest of the ingredients and toss gently to combine. Taste and season with salt/pepper/Sriracha as necessary. Serve in warmed tortillas with the accoutrements of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment