Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Husband, The Photog

Welp, it's snowing again. It's really turning into a snowy winter here in Maryland! I know I've only been here for 3 years, but this is definitely reminiscent of New York winters. Brings me back! Tonight Don and I made a great dinner with pork loin that my parents accidentally left in our freezer after Christmas (darn!). I can't take any credit for finding the recipe, as it was sent to me with rave reviews from my friend and partner-in-cooking-crime, Candace. I'm passing it on, also with stellar reviews!


Porkchops with Mushroom and Bourbon Cream Sauce
Adapted from Simply Recipes

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb sliced button or cremini mushrooms (I used cremini)
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup dry white whine
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
Salt and pepper

1 large egg
2 Tbsp water
4 6-7 oz center-cut pork chops (I sliced up a pork tenderloin)
All purpose flour
2 cups fresh bread crumbs (I used a mix of bread crumbs, panko, and red pepper flakes)
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp minced fresh basil (whoops, as I type this I realize I completely forgot this ingredient - was still awesome!)

Saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms in 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat until the mushrooms are browned - about 10-15 minutes. Add the wine, increase the temp to high, and boil down until the liquid is reduced to almost a glaze, about 4 minutes (took me longer). Add the chicken stock and bourbon, boil until reduced by 2/3. Add the cream and simmer several minutes until the sauce thickens.

Whisk an egg and 2 Tbsp water in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with salt and pepper. Dip chops into the flour, then egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, coating completely.

Showing off his loins, I mean hands

Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until brown, about 4 minutes per side (our pork must have been pretty thin cuz they cooked quicker than this). Place the skillet in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 5 more minutes.

When about to serve the pork, bring the sauce to a simmer and add the chopped basil to it (or don't, whatevs). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

We served ours with lightly blanched asparagus spears.


See, what did I tell ya about the whole "photog" thing? Beautiful, eh?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry we left the pork loin! This looks yum! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete