Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lambs Are Cute, But They Taste Better

This meal combined two firsts for me: first time roasting lamb, and first time cooking French food besides the fry and toast variety*. Actually, I've never even made French toast...

*yes, I know those aren't actually French foods

I was pretty nervous to roast this delicate little lamb because I've heard that they are easy to screw up, but I found a recipe that claimed to be extra easy and gave it a go. I did end up overcooking it a bit, but it still came out delicious. The smell of my kitchen while it was roasting was to die for. The tomato really complimented each bite of lamb, and the potatoes (although a little less crispy than I would normally like), picked up the lamb juice flavors very well. Don thought it was very good, but not as good as I thought it was. He also says he doesn't like rosemary and thyme as the main seasonings of dish. To that I say pish-posh.


Provençal Rack of Lamb
adapted from Gourmet (via Epicurious via YumSugar)

3 garlic cloves
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (I suppose you could use dried, but doubt it would be nearly as good)
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 medium tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup broccoli crowns
5 frenched lamb rib chops (the recipe calls for a frenched rack but this was a little cheaper)
2 shallots, chopped
2 medium red potatoes, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Stir together with herbs and 1 tbsp oil.

Put tomatoes cut side up in an oiled baking dish and drizzle with 1/3 of the garlic mixture. Place in the lower rack of the oven to roast for about 30 minutes. If you can fit everything on the middle rack that would probably be better, but I couldn't. Toss the broccoli with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. About 10 minutes into the tomatoes roasting, add the broccoli to the same dish and return to the oven.

Meanwhile, pat the lamb dry and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown lamb on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove and set aside. If necessary, add more oil to skillet then add shallots and potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until edges are browned, 3-5 minutes. Stir in water and 1/2 remaining garlic mixture and remove from heat.


Rub remaining garlic mixture on fat side of lamb racks. Arrange lamb over potatoes and roast in oven until the center of the meat registers 130 degrees for medium-rare. The recipe said this would take 20-25 minutes so I went with 20 then checked (I know, I should have checked sooner) and the lamb was already at 160. You live and you learn.

Don took "arrange" to a whole new level

Let stand, loosely covered, 5-10 minutes. Serve with tomatoes and broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment